Communications and Public Engagement Specialist
Part-time, Independent Contractor – Steamboat Springs, CO
15-30 hours per month
About Historic Routt County
Historic Routt County (HRC) is an award-winning, nationally recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit historic preservation organization with a mission “to preserve and to promote the historic character of Routt County communities and rural areas through the built environment.” HRC accomplishes its mission through five core programs: Advocacy, Education and Community Engagement, Historic Designation, Brick & Mortar Projects, and Stewardship.
The Communications and Public Engagement Specialist will work closely with the Executive Director to develop, guide, and execute an external communications strategy for Historic Routt County. The Communications Specialist will understand the importance and relevance of historic preservation, the mission and programs of HRC, and will convey that messaging to a broad group of stakeholders, program partners, and donors. An effective Communications and Public Engagement Specialist will use communications to elevate Historic Routt County as THE trusted historic preservation resource in Northwest Colorado and will demonstrably increase the visibility of the organization and its work within the community.
Responsibilities and Scope
This position will require 15 (minimum) to 30 hours per month. Hours and required availability will vary. Responsibilities will include but—depending on experience—may not be limited to:
- Developing and implementing an external communications strategy that will include at a minimum:
- Monthly e-newsletters.
- Regular posts and stories on Facebook and Instagram.
- Regular website content updates.
- Supporting the Executive Director with Program communications that will include:
- Developing and implementing a strategy to reach owners of properties eligible for historic designation.
- Creating content for the “Where in Routt County?” photo feature in the Steamboat Pilot.
- Creating fact sheets and informational resources for HRC programs.
- Writing press releases to celebrate program milestones.
- Writing quarterly contributing columns for the Steamboat Pilot.
- Supporting the Executive Director with fundraising communications and donor engagement including:
- Developing marketing and promotions for events.
- Writing fundraising appeals that are tailored to audience and medium.
- Developing the annual print newsletter.
- Assisting with thank you notes and donor acknowledgement.
Qualifications and Background
The candidate should have demonstrated experience in communications and marketing, as well as strong interest in historic preservation and local history. Candidates for this position will have the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated skill in copywriting and editing.
- Experience using WordPress.
- Demonstrated ability to use social media for both marketing and educational purposes.
- Outstanding organizational and planning abilities.
- Experience in web design and/or graphic design is desirable but not required.
- Familiarity with Routt County is desirable.
Candidate will need to provide their own computer.
$18.00 to $21.00 per hour depending on qualifications.
This part-time, contract position provides a flexible schedule and the ability to work remotely, with occasional in-person meetings and site visits.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com. Applicants may be asked to provide samples of work in various communications media.
Deadline to apply is Wednesday, March 10, 2021 by 5pm.