The Old Stone Church at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church of Steamboat Springs
In summer 2021, the St. Paul’s Episcopal Church project team completed the rehabilitation of the Old Stone Church. The church was built in 1913 by Art Gumprecht, a prolific master builder whose work has greatly influenced the character of Steamboat Springs. A two-story addition was built onto the church in 1959 using Emerald Mountain sandstone recovered from a demolished building in Mount Harris. The Old Stone Church is much loved by the St. Paul’s community for rites of passage and is also used as meeting space for youth, theatre, and other groups in the community. The building is listed on the Steamboat Springs Register of Historic Places.
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church and Historic Routt County partnered with Fair & Square Construction and RATIO Design to rehabilitate the 108-year-old church by replacing the roof, repointing the stone masonry, repairing plaster and interior arches, and revealing and restoring the original old growth fir floors. While most of the construction was completed in 2020, we put the final masonry and stained glass work on pause until it could be accomplished in warmer temperatures in spring 2021. This project was funded by a grant from the History Colorado State Historical Fund and generous individual donors.
The effort to preserve the Old Stone Church for another century of service to the Steamboat Springs community, began in 2018 when the St. Paul’s Vestry commissioned a Historic Structure Assessment from Mountain Architecture Design Group. Historic Routt County joined the effort in 2019 to secure two grants from the State Historical Fund for construction documents and rehabilitation work. HRC served as grant writer and project coordinator. Now that the project is complete, we are delighted by the transformation! Click below to learn about the history of the Old Sone Church.