Historic Routt County partners with willing property owners and other entities to nominate historic properties to the Routt County, Colorado State and/or National Registers of Historic Properties, an important step towards historic preservation and often required for grant eligibility.
Local designation entails documenting and nominating an eligible building, structure, object, or site which is at least 50 years old or older to the Routt County Register of Historic Properties.
The Routt County Historic Preservation Board was established by county resolution in 1992. The Board identifies and recommends historic designation to the Routt County Board of Commissioners for properties that carry historic, architectural and/or geographical significance. Designation is honorary, not regulatory.
How to Begin
- Gather Information About the Property: Building construction, historical information, photographs (current and historic), legal description, and historic importance.
- Fill Out an Application: Application and instructions are available at the Routt County Courthouse or call Historic Routt County at 970.875.1305, and we can connect you with experienced professionals that can help you! Applications can be found here!
Questions? Need Help?
Routt County Historic Designation:
- Does not affect the use of a structure;
- Does not affect interior alterations;
- Does not require repairs or restoration;
- Does not prevent the owner from painting a designated building;
- Does not affect the sale of a property.
Benefits of Designation
- The property becomes eligible for a variety of financial incentives at the local, state, and federal levels.
- The property gains formal recognition and value as an historic resource in the community.
- A property owner is honored during HRC’s annual meeting with a bronze plaque, which identifies the property as listed on the Routt County Historic Register of Historic Properties.
- Rehabilitation and environmental costs for re-use of existing structures are generally less than costs for demolition and new construction.
- Community pride and appreciation of the historic and cultural resources of Routt County are enhanced.