Built as a saloon adjacent to the Antler’s hotel circa 1905, The Antler’s Cafe and Bar has long been a community gathering place. It became a pool hall during prohibition and then converted back into bar in the 1930’s. There was a back room for gambling until gambling was outlawed.
Built in 1922 near the base of the what is now Steamboat's ski area, the Arnold Barn is named for the family who built it. The barn, which was originally a part of Cloverdale dairy operation, contains a large hayloft. When coal production in Routt County plummeted following World War II, the county population and economy plummeted. By the 1960s, local dairy farms could no longer compete with grocery store prices. The Arnold family sold their farm to the newly formed Storm Mountain Ski Corporation. Over the decades the parcel has been subdivided, sold, and re-sold. Today, the barn is the only standing remnant of the Arnold's dairy operation.
Built in 1906, this vernacular wood framed house is exemplary of the predominant architecture style found in mountain towns. The property served as a dairy farm between 1922 to 1946 and was sold to the Barrows Family in 1951. James ‘Moose’ Barrows grew up in the house and was a part of the United States Ski team from 1965-1971.
Constructed in 1910 by the Bell brothers, this mercantile building functioned as a company, store bank, and doctors office over time. The second floor served as a boarding house. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Built in the late 1930s/early 1940s, this log cabin was originally erected to aide the breeding operation of R. Wayne Light of the F.M. Light family. In 1953, the property was sold to Charlotte Perry, co-founder of Perry Mansfield Performing Arts School. Using the house as a summer home, she doubled the size and added a music room.
Nestled just outside of the Flat Tops, the Redmond Family have maintained continuous ownership of the ranch since 1920. Resident Wanda Redmond was a 4-H leader, spending a year in DC as national 4-H scholar in 1961 and traveling to Japan for an international farm youth exchange. Wanda Redmond passed away in 2016 and was honored with Historic Routt County's Historic Preservation Leadership Award. Photo Credit: Yampa Valley Land Trust
Established in 1903, Ferry Carpenter took over the ranch in 1926. Carpenter was Hayden's first attorney and established 2 schools in the area. Visits to the ranch can be coordinated with the Colorado Nature Conservancy. Photo Credit: The Nature Conservancy
In anticipation of the railroad, the carver family built a coal fired power plant in 1900, making Steamboat the first electrified town in northwest Colorado. Routt County Sentinel wrote: “The electric light wires strung throughout the town give it a metropolitan appearance”
Built in 1960 by noted architect Eugene D. Sternberg, the original chamber of commerce building draws on Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonion Style, which valued the merging of natural and built environment. The Yampa Valley Land Trust are the current stewards of the building. Also known as the "butterfly building."
Margaret Crawford, one of the original Anglo settlers in Steamboat, became interested in the Christian Science faith in 1908. The congregation did not have its own building until several decades later in 1934, where it has been in continual use to this day. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Built in 1915, the building served as an elementary school until 1961, when Clark was absorbed into the Steamboat Springs School District (despite local opposition). When first operating, one teacher lived in the nearby teacherage and taught all students. The school also functioned as a community gathering center, holding meetings, celebrations, and 4-H events.
Established in 1881 to house miners at nearby Hahns Peak, this historic town had post office, a store, a coroner, and a Justice of the Peace. It soon became a popular stopping point for those passing through, including cattle and sheepmen, miners, loggers, hunters, fisherman and outdoor enthusiasts. Built in pioneer log and rustic style, the village is still used to accommodate recreational visitors today.
Homesteaded in 1895 by Leon and Mary Green, who built a house, barn, shop/blacksmith forge, a cellar, a buggy shed, and a chicken coop using wood from their land. The house was a popular stopping point for travelers and job- seekers, who were always provided a meal.
Built in 1896 by the Crawfords, the founding family of Steamboat Springs. This large stone house, built in Romanesque revival style from local materials, was the grandest house in town. The house was a gathering place for weddings, funerals, literary societies, and more!
Built in 1903, Crossan's M & A Market served Yampa as a general store for 61 years. More than a market, a general merchandise store was an important social hub as well. In 2006 the Town of Yampa purchased the building. In partnership with Friends of Crossan's and the Town of Yampa, Historic Routt County is spearheading a multi-year, multi-phase effort to rehabilitate the structure for use as Yampa Town Hall and a community hub.
The Delaney Ranch served as both a cattle and sheep ranch throughout the 20th century, an uncommon combination for its time. Originally occupied by Isadore Bolten, a Russian immigrant who worked hard and saved money to eventually become a wealthy landowner. A familiar site atop a hill overlooking the Yampa River, the large two-story barn has horizontal lap siding, a wood shingled roof, and cathedral-like ceiling.
Built in 1923 in the craftsman style, the location of the house expanded the town's boundaries and represents the growth of Steamboat.
Built in the early 1900s by Park J. Gardner, this isolated cabin is located on Yellow Jacket Pass, which was the main route into Steamboat Springs from Wolcott before the Moffat Railroad began to provide passenger and freight service to the county.
Francis Marion Light purchased 2 lots of land in Steamboat without water or plumbing. For their first 4 years his family carried water from Soda Creek. In 1905, Light opened a store to serve ranching needs. By 1910, it became one of the largest in northwest Colorado and is still operated by the Light family. Light's success lead to construction of the Light home in 1908. Stonemason Carl Howelsen used sandstone blocks from the Emerald Mountain quarry to construct the home's foundation.
Constructed by author and historian John Rolfe Burroughs in 1947, this rustic style house was handcrafted out of pioneer logs using traditional techniques.
Erected in 1905, this building housed the first national bank in Steamboat, reflecting economic prosperity and growth in the early 20th century. The local sandstone marking the quoins, and arched entrance and windows, are stylistic traits of the Romanesque revival style in which this building was designed. The bank outgrew this building in and moved across the street in 1919. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Built in 1925 by local residents, this school served students from Hayden and Oak Creek, who rode horses and skis to get there. Use of one-room school houses declined in the 1940s, when students started busing into larger schools. The Foidel Canyon Schoolhouse operated until 1957 and began falling into disrepair in the late 20th century. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
The Historical Society maintains several historic buildings in the area, including the Wither cabin and school house. It also includes a museum with collections of mining artifacts from the Hahns Peak gold rush and a replica pole barn.
Hahns Peak Lookout was constructed by the Forest Service between 1908-1912. It served as a fire lookout until it was decommissioned in the early 1950's. This lookout was a part of a network of lookouts used to pinpoint exact fire locations. In the 1940's it was briefly re-purposed to watch the skies for fighter jets during World War II.
The Hahns Peak Schoolhouse is the oldest lumber-sided school in North Routt County that remains on its original site. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Built in 1892, it originally served as a parsonage for the congregational church to house their minister. It remained a parsonage until 1989. Though the Queen Anne architecture style was popular during the time it was built, it was rare in Routt County due to the lack of building materials in the area.
Made up of 10 structures including the main house, chicken coop, and a loafing shed for birthing goats and sheep, the original owners, the Noyce family homesteaded the property in the early 20th century. The ranch was the first in the area to raise sheep.
Originally Built in 1917, the cooperative included a wooden grain elevator, drive-through unloading area, scales house and sales office and was used to store and process grains until 1988. The granary is a reflection of rural small town agriculture and heritage. Today the granary is the home of the Wild Goose Coffee shop and The FIND salvaged and improved furniture. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Originally built as the Hayden Depot, the train connected this isolated community to the rest of the state. The first train arrived in 1913, prompting the first Routt County Fair, which became an annual event. The Depot was erected in 1918 and now functions as the Hayden Heritage Center, a local history museum. Photo Credit: Hayden Heritage Center
Built in 1910, the rooming house functioned as 1 of 3 hotels in Hayden and is the last one still standing. Noted for it ornamental concrete block building style, it is a unique architectural style indicative of the rise in concrete material use during the first half of the 20th century. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Built in 1913 during the population and industry boom in Steamboat Springs, this house is representative of the growing importance of the mountain towns in northwestern Colorado. The one-story bungalow, stick wood frame, and fish-scale shingles are indicative of a simplified Queen Anne style of architecture.
Howelsen Hill used to be a wild game park for elk. In 1914, Carl Howelsen, a Norweigen ski jumper, built a ski jump there and began teaching locals new skiing techniques. This was the introduction of recreational skiing to the Yampa Valley. The hill was named Howelsen in 1917 to honor the contributions he made to the town.
The Humble Ranch District is made up of thirteen structures, including the main house, barns, sheds, a root cellar, two bunkhouses, a scale house, and a chicken coop, built over the past hundred years. This landmark is representative of the agricultural history of the Yampa Valley and the evolution of ranching practices over time.
Author John Rolfe Burroughs grew up in Steamboat Springs before studying at University of Arizona and Harvard University. He traveled extensively and was a prisoner of war during WWII. He moved back to Steamboat Springs and built several log cabins including the Doghouse, in which he write six books including 'Where the Old West Stayed Young.'
This could be considered the first "tourist attraction" in Steamboat. The spring, which contains a high amount of lithium, was used by the Yampatika Utes for medicine. In 1934 HW Gossard built stone columns at the entrance and a small structure to house a spring attendant. He also bottled the water, calling it "Miraquelle" and distributed it out of his Model T truck.
The Little Snake River Museum houses local history of Savery, Wyoming and has over 15 historic buildings, including homesteading cabins and old school houses. Photo Credit: Little Snake River Museum
Built circa 1905 by James (Harry) Ratliff in the pioneer-style. Soon after Ratliff homesteaded the land, his property became part of the newly formed Routt National Forest. Ratliff was appointed Forest Guard in 1906. He supported the conservation of public lands and had the challenging task of being guard during the "Range Wars" between sheep herders and cattle barons.
Built in 1916, this schoolhouse contained a classroom, library, coal storage, and stove. It hosted dances, plays, dinners, and community celebrations. The school closed in 1959 due to school system consolidation and became a hunting lodge in the 70’s, then a family home in 1975. The City of Steamboat Springs now owns the building and opens it throughout the summer for community and educational events. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Built in Gothic Revival Style in 1891, the building was originally in the platted portion of Old Town Steamboat Springs. The one-and-one-half story structure has a steeply-pitched cross-gable roof, asymmetrical massing, oriel and bay windows, a decorative truss, and a river rock foundation. Albert Poppens lived here from 1908 to 1929. He was an officer of the First National Bank, served several terms on the City Council, three terms as a County Commissioner, and three terms as a State Representative.
Built in 1922 as an armory and community center, this building served as a Colorado National Guard Station and Craig community hub, hosting dances, plays, and sports events. Today it houses the Museum of Northwest Colorado, featuring cowboy and outlaw artifacts. This Museum is located in Moffat County. Photo Credit: History Colorado
Built in 1910 in the arts and crafts style, the one-and-a-half story horizontal wood-drop-sided rectangular house was owned by James Norvell until 1920. James Norvell served as Mayor of Steamboat Springs in 1914, and developed much of Steamboat Springs and Hayden. He was considered one of the first entrepreneurs in the Yampa Valley and became an evangelist, known as a "preacher cowboy." He traveled throughout the region to deliver sermons, becoming a well known figure in Colorado.
Charlotte Perry was born and raised in Denver. She started her famous dance camp with friend Portia Mansfield in 1914. Originally located in Lake Eldora outside of Boulder, Perry and Mansfield soon moved the camp to Strawberry Park near Steamboat Springs to avoid prying eyes of men who would often spy on the dancers in Lake Eldora. It is the oldest continuously operating dance camp in the country. The historic structures make up a National Historic District. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Built in 1928 in a craftsman bungalow style and inspired by the Greene brothers of California, who began designing and selling house kit for the simple to elaborate structures to be constructed across the country.
Built in 1923, the Pioneer Building served as a restaurant, bar, card room, and hotel until the late 1970s. Locals considered the establishment a flophouse, if not a brothel, and it was known across the state for its wild parties.
The Rabbit Ears Motel was built in 1953 due to the influx of tourists to Steamboat following World War II. The sign marking the motel was originally bright green and dark red, with yellow trim. The rabbit's eyes flashed neon, giving it the appearance that it was looking back and forth. The Colorado Department of Transportation required that the rabbit’s flashing eyes be removed in the late 1970s due to a State law prohibiting animated signs along national highways. Photo Credit: History Colorado
Erected in 1918, the Ralph Drake house is built in the Craftsman bungalow style popular throughout the country through the 1920s.
An icon in Northwest Colorado’s settlement history, Rehder Ranch and affiliated properties tell the story of homesteading on an isolated frontier. Herbert Happel applied for his homestead in 1914. He later sold the property to the Rehder brothers. The family continuously lived on the property for over 90 years. In 2009 Helen Rehder graciously bequeathed the historic sheep ranch that she shared with her husband Henry to Yampa Valley Land Trust and The Nature Conservancy to operate as a nature preserve.
Built in 1878, the Rock Creek Stage Stop served as a stopping point for the first mail service into the Yampa Valley. Built by James and Clark Gates, the first floor served as a home while the second floor was a staging area. A long log-chinked structure, the Rock Creek station operated as a hotel, post office, and staging site for hunting expeditions. The building fell out of use in the 1940’s. Photo Credit: Colorado Preservation Inc.
The county seat moved from Hahns Peak to Steamboat Springs in 1912. The court house was built in 1923 in Renaissance Revival style. The cornerstone contains a time capsule with memorabilia including an American flag, a letter from Steamboat's founder James Crawford, and a local newspaper.
Originally the site of a civic park intended to house the Routt County Court House (though Steamboat was not yet the county seat), this lot sat empty until 1919. When the railroad arrived, business and population boomed and the demand for land grew. The First National Bank of Steamboat, having outgrown its lot across the street, erected this building to expand the bank. The bank failed during the Great Depression and merged with the Bank of Steamboat Springs. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Built in 1910, the original guard station, was established for the drying of lodge pole and spruce seeds collected from squirrel caches, then heated and dried, and later distributed, giving it the name The Seedhouse. After 1913 the operation became unpopular and costly, and and the building was used as a seasonal ranger station. This building was replaced by the current one in 1934 by a simple, two-room, frame administrative building serving the same purpose. Today it the guard station houses the seasonal Seedhouse campground manager.
The ranch is comprised of buildings that have been relocated from neighboring properties. Many of these buildings were put on logs and pulled by horses to move them to their present locations. The main house, built in the 1950s, originally served as a scale house, keeping scale measurements for the market. The barn, built in 1911-13, was once used as the Long Gulch School House. The Semotan family bought the property in 1958 and were instrumental in the development of the Quarter Horse breed.
Built in 1911, with an ornate brick façade, large display windows and transoms, the original purpose of the building is unknown. It has since become a popular dining place.
Financed through community fundraising and built in 1923 to honor late physician Dr. John Solandt, this was the hospital for Hayden and surrounding areas. When it first opened it was the only fully equipped, certified, modern hospital in the area. It closed in 1967 when no doctor could be found to staff the hospital. Today the building houses offices for doctors and nonprofit organizations. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Episcopalians in Steamboat Springs were originally served by itinerant bishops who traveled by horseback or wagon to hold services in town. In 1897, the community purchased lots on the corner of 9th and Oak Street and built St Paul's Church in 1913. They raised funds through a pioneer cookbook which included business advertisements. The old stone church was built from donated stone carved out of the Emerald Mountain quarry and is still in use today.
This building served as a laundry for the town of Steamboat Springs and surrounding areas from 1910 until the 1960s. For a time it was the only modern laundry in Northwest Colorado and served clientele as far as Wyoming. Photo Credit: Steam Rails to Ski Trails
The town raised $15,000 in the early 1900’s in order to bring railroad service to Steamboat. The depot was constructed in 1909. The railroad led to a major population and subsequent business boom in Steamboat. Service continued until 1972 when the town once again raised funds to transform it into the home for the Steamboat Springs Arts Council. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Ute tribes often frequented the hot springs due to medicinal and sacred qualities of the waters. The heat is most likely emitted from fault lines coming off of extinct volcano, Hahns Peak. Today there are several bath houses built around the springs.
Built in 1920, the single-story, chinked lodgepole log cabin housed Elmer, Cora, and Alma Baer. Elmer was on the Town and School District Boards, while his brother Charles served as Postmaster. Alma began the Home Economics program at the Steamboat High School.
Constructed in 1912, the ranger station is associated with federal activity and conservation during the early development of the National Forest System and the Routt National Forest. The Forest Service shifted from an early philosophy of custodianship of resources to one of conservation of resources. Photo Credit: Jeffrey Beall
Built in 1922 by John Laramore, the barn is one of the few wood frame barns from the 1920s still standing in Steamboat. The structure serves as a reminder of the county’s agricultural roots.
Built in 1908, the Squire building originally contained a kiln for bricks before the construction of the local railroad depot. The Squire Building fulfilled orders for 20,000 bricks. Later, the Squire housed the Post Office and a drug store/soda fountain, making it a popular place for social gatherings.
Constructed in 1924 through community funding, the building served as the social center of Toponas, hosting town meetings, weddings, church services, baby showers, and occasionally acted as a schoolhouse. In 1941 the building was moved to its present location on lettuce trucks, as lettuce was the area's economic mainstay during the first half of the 20th century.
Built in 1927, this building originally served as the Town Hall for Oak Creek. Today it houses the Tracks and Trails Museum with artifact collections pertaining to Oak Creek's history from mining to the railroad. Photo Credit: Tracks and Trails Museum
Originally built in 1908, this Queen Anne-style Victorian home tells the story of homesteading in Steamboat Springs. The building is the home of The Tread of Pioneers museum, which explores the legacy of Native Americans in the region, as well as ranching, mining, and recreation.
Built in 1904 as the Bank of Yampa, this building later was converted into a library. Today it houses the local history of Yampa, including the original bank safe and the old jail next door. Contact the town of Yampa to schedule a visit.